Sunday 1 February 2015

Evaluation Q1 - In what way does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products? - Cover



'When producing my front cover, I took inspiration from the covers of specific issues of ‘Q’ and ‘Kerrang’ magazine and used them as style models. Due to this, my magazine cover may replicate certain aspects of the two magazine covers shown here. However, I have manipulated them enough to fit my own house style, brand and magazine structure to show off my skills and adaptation ability. 
As displayed in Q magazine, my masthead is in the top left corner of the front cover. This is a typical convention as it shows that there is nothing placed above it that may be of higher importance, the magazine brand is essential to stand out and be easily recognisable to catch the reader’s eye and it also publicises the magazine in shops. 
Also, the masthead is in the shape of a rectangle, much like the square shaped one in Q magazine. This is to allow the branding of the magazine to appear bold and clear on top of a busy front cover, however like the other two the masthead is layered slightly under the main image. 
Like my two style models, my cover features a three piece band. I wanted to do this as I felt the opportunities of placing and positions to pose in were endless and I had the chance to try many shot types when doing my photo shoot in order to get a perfect photo. 
The band name is clearly in the middle of the page, as is it in my two style models. I did this to ensure central focus is on the feature artist’s branding, which I assume is the aim of Q and Kerrang too. The small band of writing at the bottom of the page is replicated from the two style models however I have challenged this by not including additional images. I didn’t want the cover to appear too cluttered as I didn’t think it would suit my house style which is slightly more simplistic than that of Q and Kerrang magazine.'